Sean Taylor, the Redskin’s TOP Draft Choice in 2004, dies in Miami…sports…

Washington Redskin, Sean Taylor Dies in Miami


From MIAMI, Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died early Tuesday from the gunshot wound he suffered a day earlier in his Miami home.

“He did not make it through the night,” said Taylor’s attorney, Richard Sharpstein, who called the incident “a ridiculous, unnecessary tragedy.”

Taylor, 24, a Pro Bowl safety whose rocky first years in the NFL had given way to what teammates called a newfound maturity, died at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he had been taken after being shot once in the leg early Monday morning. Police are investigating the incident as a possible home invasion.

Sharpstein said he was informed of the death by Taylor’s father, Pedro Taylor, who called him around 5 a.m. with the news. He told CNN that the elder Taylor “was overwrought with grief and called me to tell me that Sean was with God . . . They’re just overcome at this particular point with the loss of a son and father and friend and just an incredible person.”

The bullet severed Taylor’s femoral artery, causing massive blood loss. He underwent seven hours of surgery, and there were some initially optimistic signs after he emerged from the operation early Monday evening. Described at first as “unresponsive and unconscious,” Taylor had squeezed a doctor’s hand and made facial expressions, Redskins officials and a family friend said, providing some hope.

But the trauma proved too great. The bleeding “could not really be stopped, only curbed a bit,” Sharpstein said.

Taylor died “a couple of hours ago” surrounded by some family members, family friend Donald Walker said shortly after 6 a.m. “Things turned for the worse,” Walker said by phone from Taylor’s mother’s house. There “seemed like a lot of hope after he responded to the doctor’s command. But he lost a lot of blood.”

Redskins Park was mostly quiet Tuesday morning as grim-faced team officials trickled into work. A small bouquet of white flowers had been placed at the main entrance and flags were lowered to half staff. Fans, who had gathered Monday with candles, returned Tuesday morning to huddle near Taylor’s parking spot. The team posted a brief statement on its Web site saying only that Taylor’s family had notified the team “that Taylor passed away.”

Taylor confronted one or more intruders early Monday morning at the bedroom door of the house he shares with his fiancee and 18 month old daughter, and was shot in the upper thigh near the femoral artery, Sharpstein said. The fiancee and child were uninjured, but Taylor lost significant amounts of blood and received a number of transfusions, according to Sharpstein and a source at the hospital.

No further surgical procedures had been planned for Taylor. Doctors expressed concern that his brain could have been damaged from lack of oxygen, Sharpstein said. A Redskins team source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Taylor’s heart stopped beating twice during surgery.


“What they told us was to hope for a miracle,” said Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, who flew to Miami with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, running back Clinton Portis and other team officials on Snyder’s private jet.

News of the shooting spread quickly through Redskins Park, the team’s training facility in Ashburn, on Monday. Normal team activities were suspended, and players were dismissed. Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs and team chaplain Brett Fuller addressed the club around noon, informing them that Taylor was fighting for his life.

“For all of us here, we’re obviously in shock,” a shaken Gibbs told reporters. “I know I can’t put it into words.”

Taylor, the Redskins’ top draft choice in 2004 who was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time last year, was having his best season as a professional before suffering a knee injury on Nov. 11 that forced him to miss the past two games.

Miami~Dade police responded to a 911 call at about 1:40 a.m. Monday at his home in an upscale suburb known as Palmetto Bay, a police spokesman said. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital’s trauma unit.

No arrests were made. In a statement, Miami~Dade police said a preliminary investigation indicated that Taylor had been shot by an intruder, but that the investigation was not complete.

Taylor did not accompany the team to Tampa for Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers, which is customary for injured players who are undergoing medical treatment. Gibbs said he was unaware Taylor had returned to Miami, where he grew up and went to college at the University of Miami.

Just before Monday’s shooting, Taylor was awakened by a noise in his living room, Sharpstein said. As the shooter or shooters approached Taylor’s bedroom, he reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, and two shots were fired, one striking his leg in the groin area.

Cerrato said Taylor’s fiancee tried to call police from the house line, only to discover that the line had been cut. She had to use her cellphone to call 911, which delayed the response time.

“This was a deliberate attack,” Cerrato said without elaborating.

About 30 of Taylor’s friends and family kept vigil in the trauma center waiting room into the night on Monday, praying together, wiping tear-reddened eyes and waiting for updates on his condition.

Things seemed bleak at various points. At about 3:30 p.m., a man who described himself as a friend of Taylor’s walked out of the trauma unit and kneeled in prayer in the parking lot. He was sobbing. After wiping away his tears, he returned to the waiting room.

Taylor’s younger brother “is looking very sad and his dad is looking sad,” said Marvin Riggens, 27, after stepping outside briefly to make cellphone calls. “From what I understand, it’s not looking very good right now.”

At 4:30 p.m., Snyder, Portis, Cerrato and two other team officials arrived at the hospital, emerging from a black Mercedes Benz sedan and a Cadillac Escalade.

Early Tuesday, the Miami Herald reported, family members and other loved ones were seen leaving the hospital in tears.

The shooting came eight days after another incident was reported at Taylor’s home. An intruder pried open a front window, went through drawers and a safe and left a kitchen knife on a bed, according to the police report of the Nov. 18 incident.


Despite the break in a week ago, there was no security system at Taylor’s house, according to Emory Williams, a cousin of Taylor’s.

A day after that first incident, Taylor called Gibbs from Miami and requested permission to remain in the city to deal with matters related to the attempted burglary, Gibbs said. Gibbs said he obliged, excusing Taylor from some team meetings. Snyder made brief remarks to reporters at Redskins Park before flying to Miami.”On behalf of the Redskins, the players and everyone here at the Redskins, our hearts and prayers go out to Sean and his family,” Snyder said.

Since the Redskins drafted Taylor, the safety has had several brushes with the law and National Football League rules. Taylor was charged with a felony count of aggravated assault with a firearm for allegedly brandishing a gun in a Miami neighborhood in 2005.

Taylor reached a plea agreement and avoided jail time, but was fined $71,764 by the NFL for violating the personal conduct clause of his contract.

The NFL also has fined Taylor for illegal hits, uniform violations and spitting on Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. In 2004, Gibbs suspended Taylor for one game after he was arrested for driving under the influence; those charges were later dropped.

In the past two years, however, Taylor has earned praise from coaches and teammates for maturing and better work habits. Portis, a former University of Miami teammate, said Taylor had grown up considerably since the birth of his daughter, Jackie, in May 2006.

“It’s hard to expect a man to grow up overnight,” Portis said before departing for Miami. “But ever since he had this child it was like a new Sean. And everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child.”
Thank you The Washington Post, Shipley reported from Miami, La Canfora from Ashburn. Staff writers Les Carpenter and Peter Whoriskey, in Miami, and researcher Julie Tate contributed to this report.

MY condolences go out top the fans,friends and family of this gifted young man.

Home invasions are becoming more prevalent in our society.

What ever happened to “your home is your castle” attitude?

Do you feel safe in your homes after reading this story? Some of you might think you are since you aren’t the 2004 draft pick for the Washington Redskins…but if someone wants something you have, you aren’t…be careful out there baby Boomers.

~The Baby Boomer Queen~

~ by thebabyboomerqueen on November 28, 2007.

3 Responses to “Sean Taylor, the Redskin’s TOP Draft Choice in 2004, dies in Miami…sports…”

  1. It’s a very sad day for another child to have lost a parent before ever getting the chance to know them. As a father of two young boys, stories like this remind me once again how lucky I am to have another tomorrow to spend with them…

    My heart goes out to Sean’s family and friends…this is truly a tragedy.

  2. I sure hope that Baby Boomers aren’t so quick to judge a book by its cover…er…a story verus the facts. Why hasn’t it been released who killed Taylor ? What were they doing at his home ? Everything does seem right with this story and I aint feeling anything about any story until I am given the FULL story. This coming from an Xer.

  3. It’s very sad. That’s all there is to say.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: